Let’s get after it! There aren’t many things better than a deep fried Turkey.
Here’s what you’ll need:
1) Steak Shake (or another All Purpose seasoning)
2) Cajun PitGrit (or another Cajun rub)
3) 12-14 lb Turkey
4) Turkey Fryer kit & Propane
5) Butcher Twine
6) Avacado Oil
Start out by setting the level of your oil correctly.
1) Put unseasoned turkey in empty fryer pot
2) Fill with water until it’s 2-3 inches below the top of the Turkey
3) Take Turkey out
4) Mark water level
5) Empty pot and fill with oil to line
6) Make sure to drop the Turkey in very slowly
You need to know the safety tips for deep frying.
1) Protect your property. Cook away from the house in the yard if need be.
2) Fully defrost your turkey
3) Dry the turkey thoroughly (water and oil don’t mix, especially when hot)
4) Rise temperature of oil to 380-400 degrees. It will drop drastically when you put in a cold Turkey.
5) CUT THE FLAME OFF BEFORE YOU START DROPPING IN THE TURKEY IN CASE YOU HAVE AN OVERFLOW. Cut the flame back on once the oil is stable.
So how to you cook the turkey?
1) Start with a clean, trimmed, dry turkey. Spray it with some kind of neutral flavored cooking oil as a binder.
2) Season liberally with Steak Shake and Cajun PitGrit
3) Follow the above safety tips, and drop the turkey in.
4) Cook for 3-4 minutes per pound. Begin checking internal temperature with a Thermapen after 30 minutes.
5) Remove at 165 in the white meat, rest for 5-10 minutes, and enjoy! We hope you enjoy this recipe, it’s been a classic family recipe for years.